Aug. 9, Jackson House of Prayer, Madison, MS

Posted on August 10, 2016 by Bob Sorge

Tuesday morning: Greetings from Atlanta, where I spent the night. Let me explain. Monday morning the national news said something about a computer problem at Delta, so I went to and discovered that my Monday departure from San Salvador was delayed. At 2 a.m. on Monday, the power to Delta’s computer system in Atlanta just died. Everything shut down, until they got their computers up and running, I think around 6 hours later. My departure ended up being delayed 4 hours. With the entire system in gyrations, I was unable to get a connecting flight to Kansas City. So I flew only to Atlanta on Monday, grabbed an airport hotel (got here at midnight), and now will fly at noon directly from Atlanta to Jackson, MS, for tonight’s meeting.

This will be my first time to the Jackson House of Prayer, which convenes at Reigning Grace Church in Madison, MS. Interestingly enough, while I have driven through Mississippi, this is going to be my first time to actually minister in that state. The original plan was for me to bring books with me to the event, and now those books are nicely waiting for me in Kansas City, ha. So I’ll have no books with me tonight. But at least it appears that I’ll be able to be with them and to share in the good word of the Lord. Our gathering is tonight, and then I return home first thing Wednesday. Tonight’s meeting was scheduled for a Tuesday night in order to make it accessible to folks from a variety of congregations.

Wednesday 11 a.m.: Greetings from Atlanta airport. I’ve had quite the trip, caught in the gridlock of Delta’s operations upheaval from Monday’s computer shutdown. My return from El Salvador was delayed too long to get home, so I spent Monday night in Atlanta. Got to the airport at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, hoping my 12:15 pm flight to Jackson MS would be on time. It wasn’t. The times kept changing all afternoon. The plane was at the gate, but the gate agent eventually came on the PA: “I have no idea who the pilots will be for our flight, and I have no idea when they will arrive.” About 90 minutes later, a couple pilots showed up and boarded the plane. Everyone cheered! Then the pilot came out about 10 minutes later to announce to everyone at 5 pm, “This flight has been cancelled.” Another flight was going to Jackson at the same time, so I immediately rushed to the other gate, and they let me on the plane because of my status. Wow! It seemed like a miracle that I even made it to Jackson. My bags didn’t make it, but at least I did. 

And we had a great time. The expectation in the group was exceptionally strong. Eager, hungry hearts, they just drew it out of me. So even though I couldn’t bring any books with me, and had no luggage, the Lord had an appointment for us together, and not even Delta’s convulsions could stop that. Marvelous!

Now I’m back in Atlanta, awaiting a noon departure for Kansas City and home. It’s still showing on time, which is hopeful. There are still lots of delays today from Monday’s outage, but Delta is slowly getting back on track. 

This weekend I’m speaking at a church in the metro KC area. Then on Monday I leave for Vladivostok, Russia.